First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church

Board Minutes 2011-08-21

Board of Trustees Meeting

August 21, 2011

Present: Julie Tribble, Jean Bruttell, Don Hayward, Dan Sexton, Dan Levine, Emily Wood, Brenda Jones, Lewis Morris, Rev. Jennifer Innis, Tina Harmuth, Melissa Jeffrey, Tammy Hayward (for beginning of meeting through Coordinator Reports)

 

Gather, Greet, Refreshments

Call to Order

Chalice Lighting/Centering Moment/Reading

Approval of Agenda/Additions

Approval of Minutes

Appoint/Confirm Meeting Roles

Reminder of group Working Rules – Board Covenant Review

Personal Check-in

Coordinator Reports – Personnel Committee Recommendation on personnel

Staff Reports

Treasurer’s Report

Stewardship Update

SHORT BREAK

HUUmanist Group Address

Future Planning Update – possible NTAUUS Grant Proposal

Case study conversation – COM

Meeting Process Review

Personal Checkout

Closing Words

Adjourn

 

Meeting begins 12:45 p.m.

 

Approval of Agenda/Additions

Personnel: Letter of resignation from Linda Fulmer; to be added during Treasurer’s Report

 

Approval of Minutes

There was an issue with mention of personnel with previous minutes. Minutes as reworded: motion made by Emily to approve; Melissa seconded; motion passed.

 

Appoint/Confirm Meeting Roles

Process Observer – Melissa

Timekeeper – Emily

Acting Secretary – Tina

 

Reminder of group Working Rules – Board Covenant Review

 

Personal Check-in

 

Coordinator Reports – Personnel Committee Recommendation on personnel

Ministries: Committee on Ministries is working on case studies. We will visit this later in the meeting (see agenda). Report on Caring and Sharing was submitted electronically.

Dan Levine has spoken to both Jennifer and Jean regarding the situation with our renter, Henry, regarding the fact that we do not have a procedure in place for mediation/conflict management for renters.

 

Outreach: Judy provided written material in addition to an electronic report. Additional outreach reporting on publicity was also submitted via email.

 

Religious Education: Submitted electronically. Additionally, there was a pancake breakfast by CYRE before service 8/21. Numbers on profit are not yet available. CYRE will replace coffee supplies used during breakfast since there wasn’t an additional coffee collection.

 

Operations: The AC in the hallway is not functioning properly as of 8/21; building will look into it.

Finance met and is in the process of planning. There is a financial procedures manual that will be updated, and other projects are under discussion.

 

Personnel: Lewis noted that we need to ensure that the Board voted on the members of the Personnel Committee. A review of Board minutes will be made to ensure that this occurred. Tammy Hayward has stepped forward as Chair of the Personnel Committee.

Tammy Hayward, who attended this portion of the meeting, noted that the Annual Performance Review will be revised in the next 90 days; it’s anticipated that a full revision of the Personnel Policy Manual should be complete within a year. The Board must adopt the policy once it’s complete. Melissa moved that the Evaluation Process as revised be approved; Jean seconded; motion passed.

NOTE: The Minister, while not the supervisor of all staff, does take a part in evaluations along with someone from Personnel.

 

There was a motion (Jean) to move to Executive Session to discuss personnel issues; Dan S. seconded; motion passed.

 

Staff Reports

Rev. Jennifer: In addition to her emailed report, Rev Jen noted that our guest minister Rev. Kayimba mentioned that we seem to be a very connected congregation. There was also a brief discussion of the Facebook conversation regarding the explicit nature of the film showed during Rev. Kayimba’s sermon. The need for Adult OWL was put forward. The special offering for the cause of Rev. Kayimba’s church came to just under $950.

Julie Tribble: Most points covered by RE Area report; Julie additionally discussed the success of the CoA Boston Trip and the teacher training that occurred in Dallas on 8/20. Julie is still working on finding a Childcare Coordinator; she will ensure that there is something in the September newsletter regarding this position.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Notations were made on the Budget vs. Actual Report to remove CoA funds and expense as needed. There are additional questions regarding where some of the funds seem to be allocated; Brenda will update the report and send it to the Board.

On the Statement of Financial Position, Brenda noted that the discrepancy in the Donations Receivable and Pledge Receivable entries is related to an inconsistency with how pledge payments are being recorded. Efforts are being made to correct this mistake.

Linda Fulmer has resigned her membership. She gave back the Sam’s card used for First Jefferson purchases. Julie noted that she lives near a Sam’s and is willing to be the purchasing person for that store.

Brenda and her husband will be leaving Labor Day weekend for a road-trip vacation lasting fifteen days.

 

Stewardship Update

Cleanup for the most recent campaign is still being worked on. Also in progress – dates are now set for events for the upcoming year. Mary Gleason has been contacted regarding our status; we are awaiting a response.

Facilitator training for the cottage meetings is set for 9/7/11; a list has been made of those who will be specifically asked to attend, with an emphasis on members of committees who are particularly involved in the subject to be discussed. The cottage meeting for the fall, schedule for 9/30 will cover the topic of Worship. The second meeting will be on Governance, and Board members will be asked to assist in facilitation.

Don Hayward will become Stewardship Chair; Dan Sexton will step back so that he can concentrate on other tasks. The Healing Workshop is planned for 10/22. This is one of the milestones for the stewardship agreement with the district. Twenty percent of membership must be present, so we need to be positively publicizing and talking about it.

Lewis asked where we are in terms of accomplishing the milestones of the stewardship agreement. Jean replied that we’re in the same place that we were before the Congregational Meeting; the Healing Workshop is an outstanding step and we will receive feedback after we accomplish it.

 

SHORT BREAK

 

HUUmanist Group Address

Background was given on the HUUmanist group request for an apology from the Board for the interaction regarding one of their meetings, in which members of the Board insisted that the meeting topic be changed due to Right Relations issues.

Emily made a motion to extend the conversation; Tina seconded; motion passed.

It was agreed that the Board is responsible for ensuring that the work done by committees and groups falls within the mission, vision, and Strategic Plan of First Jefferson.

The HUUmanist Group will be sent a notification that the Board is formulating a written response to their request. Lewis will do this.

Tina will write a letter to the HUUmanist group with help from Rev. Jennifer and Melissa Jeffrey.

 

 

Future Planning Update – possible NTAUUS Grant Proposal

There will be a NTAUUS-sponsored Compassionate Communication workshop on 10/08. Emily will find out how many spots First Jefferson has. NTAUUS will cover all but about $30 per person.

Tina expressed interest in attending, and Jean noted that this is training that we would really like to have for the Church Council members.

Regarding the Media training, Rev. Jennifer and Julie Tribble are the most likely people to benefit (and pass those benefits on to First Jefferson) from training in handling the media. That training is 10/29. Tina moved that Rev. Jennifer and Julie Tribble be our representatives for the Media training; Dan Sexton seconded; motion passed.

Deadline for NTAUUS proposals for grants is December 1st. Emily noted that program-related requests (including salary-matching) are looked at more favorably than building/grounds, etc.; she will let us know when she has a better idea of what looks good to NTAUUS.

Possible grants:

  1. Parking Lot Expansion (Brenda noted that if the back lot is expanded for parking, another drive to the back will be required)
  2. Audio/Video improvement
  3. Green Sanctuary
  4. Security Improvement
  5. School Supply Fair

 

Jean suggested that the Social Action Council communicate its plans to the Board so that we’re aware of what we might want to obtain funds for. Melissa will ask them.

We will try to reach an agreement at the September Board meeting on what our proposal will be, and have it written by October 15.

 

The remaining Future Planning discussion was tabled. It will be resumed in the September meeting.

 

Case study conversation – COM

Case studies are being looked at as a way to facilitate discussions in right relations. The Board will be the beta testers for this practice.

Accordingly, the Board read and discussed a case study, with the discussion facilitated by Rev. Jennifer Innis.

 

Meeting Process Review

Melissa noted that we went off topic a few times, but that for the most part we did well with focus.

 

Personal Checkouts

 

Closing Words

 

Adjourned 3:45 p.m.


 

 

Action Items

Area

Items

Responsible Party

Due Date

Building

Find out why hallway AC is not functioning well.

Bill M./Dan S.

None stated

General

Review Board minutes to ensure that Personnel Task Force was voted on.

Jean B.

None stated

Personnel

Send a writeup in newsletter regarding Childcare Coordinator position.

Julie Tribble

Within a few days

Treasurer

Update financial reports and send to board members.

Brenda

None stated

General

Contact HUUmanist group to inform them that the Board is formulating a written response to their request.

Lewis

Within a few days

General

Write response to HUUmanist group.

Tina

None stated

Outreach

Contact Social Action to find out what their plans are regarding projects that might work for NTAUUS grant proposals.

Melissa

None stated

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Executive Session Convened

 

Because there wasn’t an Evaluation Process in place, the plan for handling the Bookkeeper personnel issue, a plan approved at the July meeting, was not followed.

The evaluation can now be done according to the approved process. The Board is not involved in the actual evaluation. Therefore the action items associated with last month’s meeting will not need to be resolved. The Board will await the recommendation of the Personnel Committee.

 

Executive Session Closed

 

 

Last Updated on Friday, 20 October 2017 13:09
 

You are here  : Home Bulletins - The Board Board Minutes 2011-08-21
Got comments or suggestions for the web site -- Contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it