First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church

Board Minutes 2013-03-17

Board Meeting, March 17, 2013

Meeting called to order by President Jean Bruttell at 1:12  p.m.

In attendance:  
Jean Bruttell, President
Lin Wells, Vice-President
Judy Gutierrez, Treasurer
Rachel Hawkins, Secretary
David Mikitka, Operations Area Coordinator
Gail Lockwood, Ministry Area Coordinator
John Johnson, Outreach Area Coordinator
Michael Zepeda, Education Area Coordinator
Randy Gregory, Member at Large
Lewis Morris, ex-officio
Rev. Jennifer Innis, Consulting Minister
Also Present:      Julile Tribble, D.R.E.

Chalice Lighting and Reading

Agenda Review.

Reminder of the Board's working rules.  The Board's covenant is included on the agenda.  We now have a microphone to use as a talking stick, used in conjunction with two sets of headphones.  

Gail Lockwood agreed to be process server.  

Personal check in.      

No guests present.  

Executive session called.  Michael Zepeda made a motion to accept the recommendation of the D.R.E.'s annual performance review.  Seconded.  Motion to leave  executive session.  Second.  Vote passed.  We have been discussing staff reviews and recommendations.  The motion to accept the recommendation of the D.R.E.'s annual performance review passed unanimously.  

Break.

Meeting called back to order at 2:51.

Discussion of statement to the congregation regarding the termination of Julie Tribble as D.R.E.  

Written statement agreed upon by the Board:

The Board of Trustees of First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church regrets to inform you that as a direct result of her performance review, the employment of Julie Tribble has been terminated, as of Sunday, March 17, 2013.  

This decision was very difficult for all involved and reached unanimously after thoughtful discussion and consideration.  The Board acknowledges Julie's contribution to the R.E. program.  We are just beginning the process of continuing this valuable aspect of our spiritual experience.  

Irene Forrester, R.E. Chair and Michael Zepeda, area coordinator of education have a short term plan to ensure no disruption in the program and will be communicating with you as the Board discusses next steps.  

Stewardship (Jean Bruttell): Kick off went well this morning.  We are having a one week pledge drive.  Board members need to encourage people to turn in pledges, attend Fellowship Dinner, and to host and set up for the Fellowship Dinner.  Roy Redman is hiring the pianist for background music.  

Fellowship Dinner schedule:  Board members to set up at 5:00.  There will be cocktails for lead donors at 5:30.  Dinner at 7:00.  Chicken and salad provided.  Members to bring  side dishes.  

Minister's report:  Staff reviews and stewardship have dominated Rev. Innis' time.  She has sought out the counsel of Connie Goodbread for help processing things going on in the church.  The region is making an offer:  if we host an event about keeping a liberal religious community and doing it well on a Saturday, then the region would provide someone to come in the previous Friday to meet with the core leadership of this congregation to offer more intensive training and to preach on Sunday, and to offer a program to the congregation on Sunday afternoon.  This would be in an effort to improve relational issues.  At a later date, another congregation could host a program called Wellspring.  This has been a very successful program in other congregations.  Randy Gregory moved to accept the offer from the region that we will host the Healthy Congregation workshop.  Seconded.  Discussion.  Motion passes unanimously.  

Treasurer's Report: The D.R.E.'s Visa card has been returned.  Judy Gutierrez will shred it in the office after the meeting.  Written report attached.  Randy Gregory moved that the Finance Committee approach the endowment committee and ask them if we can use the income and gains over the last year to pay the mortgage.  Seconded. Discussion.  Motion passed unanimously.  

Consent agenda.  Michael Zepeda moved that we accept the previously submitted reports.  Seconded.  Motion passed.

New business:

Michael Zepeda reported that he was approached by Bob Portman and Ken Sambell, who mentioned that Westside members have told them that they have formed a committee to see about a larger space.  This does not have come from leadership, but from members.  

Gail Lockwood visited PFLAG last Thursday, who had some concerns because they had to meet in the sanctuary because there was a kitchen rental.  Jean Bruttell received another complaint from a Coming of Age parent about another tenant having left Coleman Hall a mess.  

Quarterly Goals to be moved to an email conversation after the Fellowship Dinner.  

Process observation: microphone as talking stick works well.  

Review of action items:

Preparation of separation agreement for Julie Tribble - Jennifer Innis.  Personnel committee should be involved as a training tool.

Publication of statement regarding Julie Tribble's termination.  

Consideration of budget trimming ideas - each of the Board members.

Lin Wells agreed to be the captain for the Fellowship Dinner setup.  Randy, Dave, Judy and Rachel will assist.

Jennifer Innis will follow up on the regional training.  

Conversation with Happy Tomatoes about their rental space and times - Jean will talk to Karl, one or both of them will discuss with the renter.  

Announcement about Board meeting to discuss next steps on the D.R.E. situation.  Meeting to be held March 24, 2013 at 1:00.

Personal Check out.

Closing Words.

Meeting adjourned at 4:30.

Last Updated on Friday, 20 October 2017 13:18
 

You are here  : Home Bulletins - The Board Board Minutes 2013-03-17
Got comments or suggestions for the web site -- Contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it