First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church

Board Minutes 2015-05-16

First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church
1959 Sandy Lane
Fort Worth, TX 76123

Board of Trustees - Regular meeting
May 16, 2015

Minutes

Board members present: Michael Zepeda, Tina Harmuth, Tasha Morris, Judy Guttierrez, Roy Brake, Irene Forrester

Also present: Rev. Jennifer Innis
Invited guests: Dan Sexton on behalf of Finance committee

There were no visitors, or other persons present.
The meeting was held at First Jefferson, in Jaggers Parlor.

Meeting called to order at 10:20 a.m. by Michael Zepeda.

Tasha Morris confirmed that a quorum was present.

Michael offered opening words, and the chalice was lit.

The board reviewed the board covenant.

Appointed Irene Forrester as process observer and Rev. Jennifer Innis as timekeeper for this meeting.

By consensus, the agenda was updated to include the minister’s report in the consent agenda.

A brief check-in occurred.

Michael offered a correction for the draft minutes as to the date of NTUUC’s leadership event.  Tina made the motion to accept the minutes as amended.  Seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

The operations report, strategic planning report and the minister’s report were accepted.

The finance report was reviewed and accepted.

Michael led a review of outstanding action items from the March and April Board meetings.

Dan Sexton and Tasha Morris presented the Board with proposed budget options.  Discussion. Tina made the motion that we accept option B with an adjustment to have the staff compensation to match that from both option As.  Seconded. Discussion.  Tasha made a friendly amendment to add $200 back into the budget for the movie license fee. Seconded.  Amendment passed by acclimation. Irene made a friendly amendment to include a $200 winter bonus for the pianist. Seconded. Discussion. Amendment passed unanimously.  Michael called for a vote on the twice-amended motion. Motion to approve the proposed budget as amended passed unanimously, with no abstentions.

A short break occurred.

Michael asked to adjust the agenda to get the smaller conversations finished.  Approved by consent.

Michael presented the Board with information regarding DBLE and potential candidates.  Irene made the motion to nominate Roy Brake and David Winkowski as this year’s DBLE attendees.  Seconded.  Discussion.  Motion passed with 5 yays, 0 nays, and Roy abstaining.

Michael presented the Board with information regarding the delegate process for General Assembly.  Discussion.  No motions were made.

Michael presented calendaring options for the next regular meeting of the Board.  By consensus, the next meeting will be held June 20, 2015, at 11am, in the church library.

Rev. Jenn provided context for the conversation about the focus of her time for the next program year (July 2015 – June 2016).  Discussion.  Tasha requested the following summary be entered into minutes:

Ministerial Priorities for Coming Year
Worship
Visibility / Connections
Spiritual Leader
Pastoral connections
New member connections
Leadership Development
Visitor to leader arc
Right Relations
Covenantal congregation
Staff policies/procedures
Spiritual Development
CYRE / Spirit Play

Michael led a review of action items taken on during the meeting.  
Irene offered process observations.  
Michael offered closing words and extinguished the chalice.
Meeting adjourned at 12:39 p.m.

Agenda as updated at Board meeting
Call to Order
Certification of quorum
Chalice lighting
Agenda review and update
Review of covenant
Appoint process observer & timekeeper
Check in
Invited Guests
Open forum for visitors
Consent Agenda

Acceptance of minutes

Acceptance of reports
Operations report
Strategic planning report
Minister’s report
Financial Report
Review last month's action items
Special Orders

Finalize budget
General Orders

Select DBLE nominees
New Business

GA delegates

June Board Meeting calendaring
General Orders

Focus of Rev. Jenn's time for next program year
Board process / review decisions & action items
Process observer comments
Closing words & extinguishing the chalice
Adjourn


Action items from May meeting:

Calendar
Tasha
Put June Board mtg on church calendar
asap

Minister focus
Michael
Include minister priorities in oral remarks at the cong. Mtg.
5/17/15

Minister focus Budget
Michael
Report minister priorities and worship-related budget to WARTS
Next meeting

Budget
Tasha
Work with Dan to get budget typed for inclusion in the cong. Mtg. packet
5/16/15


Outstanding items from previous meetings:

April

Worship sustainability
Jean
discuss worship arts needs with leadership ID
Jean was sick for May mtg; status unknown

Agile structure
All
research four committee model and member at large board functioning
Many board members report attempting and not finding information readily available

Church council
Tina
discuss recognition of volunteer hours output vs. mission output
To happen @ committee level during strat. plan.

Agile structure
Jean
Develop 1st pass at bylaws amendment process for congregational wide discussion
Due at June board meeting

March

Dev. Ministry
Michael
Contact Keith Kron to learn more about developmental ministry and what our options are
On hold

Exterior Paint
Roy
Contact painting contractors for estimates on exterior – painting bids from 2013 to be re-bid
Working on, should have for June mtg.

Safety
Irene, Roy, Rev. Jenn
discuss fire drill with RE council, Rev. Jenn & Roy to attend that meeting
On hold; will meet with council to schedule for fall

Safety
Tasha, Michael, Jean, Rev. Jenn
Draft safety plan to bring back to the board
On hold; should have for June mtg.

Last Updated on Friday, 20 October 2017 13:15
 

You are here  : Home Bulletins - The Board Board Minutes 2015-05-16
Got comments or suggestions for the web site -- Contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it